Gov. Bev Perdue today announced measures cracking down on Medicaid fraud, waste and abuse that costs taxpayers millions of dollars each year. These include:
- newly created Medicaid SWAT teams, with specially trained investigators,
- better use of computer technology to detect and prevent abuse,
- a campaign to encourage the public and providers to report suspected Medicaid fraud, waste and abuse,
- toughening North Carolina’s anti-fraud laws by stopping kickbacks to providers that refer patients for Medicaid services,
- ending the soliciting of patients for services they don’t need, and
- doubling the staff size of the Attorney General’s Medicaid Investigations Unit, which every year recovers millions for the State.